Car Accident Lawyer in Gwinnett County, GA
Personal Injury Representation in Motor Vehicle Accidents through the Metro-Atlanta Area
A car accident can be a frightening and stressful situation, especially if someone gets hurt. While the main priority is to make the best possible recovery from injury, injured parties must also recover financial compensation to pay for medical expenses, property damage, lost wages, and other damages. However, insurance companies will do whatever it takes to reduce or deny your claim, which is why you may need the help of an experienced personal injury lawyer to protect your rights and best interests throughout the legal process.
At Houston Washburn Law, you can get the guidance and representation you need from our Gwinnett County car accident attorney who is a proven trial lawyer recognized as a Top 40 under 40 by the National Trial Lawyers. At our firm, you will always have the accessibility, guidance, and empathy you need and deserve in the wake of an injury-related motor vehicle accident. Our firm is here to help you seek maximum compensation for your losses and damages.
Injured in a motor vehicle accident in or around Gwinnett County? Get a free consultation at Houston Washburn Law by contacting us at (770) 766-8966as soon as possible.
At Houston Washburn Law, we handle all types of motor vehicle accidents, including:
- Rear-end collisions
- Head-on collisions
- T-bone collisions
- Drunk driving accidents
- Driving while texting accidents
- Multiple-car pileups
- Car accidents with pedestrians, bicyclists, or motorcyclists
- Fatal car accidents, leading to wrongful death claims
Motor Vehicle Accidents in Georgia
In Georgia, you have three ways to file a personal injury claim stemming from a traffic accident. You can file a claim with your own insurance company who will then seek compensation from the at-fault driver’s insurance company. You can file a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company directly. Or you can file a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault driver. You will have to two years from the date of the accident to file a claim for injury damages and four years from the date of the accident to file a claim for property damage.
Remember: you will only be able to collect compensation for your damages if your percentage of fault was less than 50 percent. Georgia employs a modified comparative fault regulation which means your compensatory damages will be reduced by the percentage of your fault in the accident. If your fault was deemed to be 20 percent and the other driver’s 80 percent, your damages would be reduced by twenty percent.
There is no cap on the amount of compensation you can receive for your medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages or income, vehicle and property damage or replacement, or other losses. However, if you seek punitive damages against the at-fault driver, the damages you can receive are capped by law at $250,000.
Is Georgia a No-Fault Accident State?
Georgia is an at-fault state which means that the officer will almost always assign fault to one or both of the parties involved through a citation. Georgia law allows for there to be percentages of fault assigned in a traffic crash through what is called proportional comparative fault.
Since Georgia is an at-fault state, you can receive compensation for damages or injuries if the other person was mostly at fault. This will require you or your attorney filing a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company.
Keep in mind that the at-fault driver’s insurance company will only pay up to the limits of their policy coverage. In Georgia, this could be as low as $25,000. If your expenses for the damages are higher than the at-fault's policy coverage, the at-fault driver may have an additional liability insurance policy that could kick in, but that is unlikely.
Ready to Help You Recover Your Entitled Compensation
No matter what type of accident you have been involved in, if you have been injured by the negligence or other wrongdoing of another party or parties, you have grounds for a personal injury claim. Our firm will investigate all aspects of the accident to determine all the parties responsible for your damages and handle the claims process with the insurance company.
It is a well-known fact that those individuals who are represented by an attorney end up with larger settlements than those without representation. Our attorney will prepare your case to put you in the best position for negotiation with the insurer. If a fair settlement does not result, our Gwinnett County car accident lawyer can take your case to court if that is the best option.
Settled for Policy Limits Motor Vehicle Collision
Settled for 50,000.00 Motor Vehicle Collision
5 Figure Settlement Motor Vehicle Collision
6 Figure Settlement Pedestrian Struck While Crossing the Street
6 Figure Settlement Motor Vehicle Collision & Wrongful Death
6 Figure Settlement Motor Vehicle Collision